But... why?



After a mild start to the season, it seems Old Man Winter has kicked down the door and crashed on the couch - and he isn't getting up any time soon. Thus, I've spent more time outside with a shovel than in the kitchen at the kettle. But I did manage to shoehorn a brew day into this month's schedule, and just bottled it today. In a week or two I should be able to sample to fruits of my labor - even if it is outside in the howling wind, trying to stave off the constant onslaught of another Michigan Winter.

Which leads me to a question I get asked often - why brew your own beer?

It certainly isn't the convenience. Preparation, sanitation, accurately measuring ingredients. Diligently tending to the mash, repeatedly taking measurements and adjusting the heat. Constant observation of the boil, adding ingredients at predetermined intervals. Prudent husbandry of the yeast, crossing your fingers that you did everything right while they do their work for weeks or more. No, it certainly isn't the convenience.

It's not the cost, either. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking homebrewing is cheap. It certainly doesn't have to be expensive - if you do some horse-trading and scrounge for equipment you can get away with a basic set of gear that'll get the job done. But you're not going to walk away at the end of a brew day with more money in your pocket than if you just went out and bought a couple cases of basic light beer. Why anyone would want to drink that stuff anyway is beyond me, but I digress... If all you want to brew is a basic ale, then you'll probably be on par with what it would cost per-bottle for some decent craft beer. But once you start buying fresh vanilla beans, cocoa nibs, and real maple syrup, your hopes of saving a bit of cash by taking the DIY route will have flown out the window.

So why, if it's so much work and so much money, do I even bother to brew my own beer in the first place?

For me, it's the process as much as the end result. All those measurements, preparations, and calculations are a form of meditation for me. I focus. I observe. I complete the process, and in the end create something greater than the sum of it's parts. And therein lies the real beauty of homebrew - creativity. I am free to experiment and try new ideas however I so choose, limited only by my willingness to actually consume whatever concoction I have created.

What's more is the understanding you gain as you work with the ingredients. You gain an intimate knowledge of the grains, hops, and even the yeast; understanding how each of them impacts the final product. This in turn gives you insight to further appreciate other beers when you drink them. You will be able to differentiate the floral, grapefruit notes of Cascade hops from the piney, earthy aromas  of Chinook. You'll taste subtle differences in malts, and understand how yeast produce esters and phenols which alter the flavor (for better or worse). You may even want to try and re-create some of your favorite beers at home, perhaps tweaking the recipe to suit your tastes. You'll want to try this malt, and those hops. A different yeast. You'll need a bigger kettle, and a new burner! Before you know it, you won't have any money or free time.

But at least you'll have some good beer. And in the end, isn't that what it's all about?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - Oracle Brewing Company, Trigo Amigo

Review - Odd Side Ales, Citra Pale Ale

Homebrew - French Toast Stout